Sunday 23 November 2014

Depression

This is a (almost) copy of a piece I wrote for my Facebook account yesterday, which as far as I know was read by one person!

It is about how I feel at the moment, and why I am not online as much as I would like to be. I am also writing this in case others feel like this too and to let them know they are not alone. I hope I don't come across as indulgent.

A couple of months ago, I had an insect bite that got infected. I went to the doctor's for the first time in years and was given antibiotics and dressings. A week later, after a non stop upset tum, I was signed off. The next day it was weeping again. I literally went to pieces. Anyway, long story short, I was diagnosed with PTSD from an incident at school between me, a pupil and a pair of scissors. (I lost all my confidence after that. I took early retirement but it obviously didn't help)  I was also found to have high blood pressure (surprise!). So I was given BP pills and a version of Prozac, and the number of Let's Talk to arrange counselling.

So far, so good. By day 3 of taking the pills, I came up in deep red welts all over my skin. I felt like I was being stung all over. I missed my first session of counselling with 3 trips to the doctor's surgery to see various people. I now have new BP pills which I was too scared to take at first, but nothing for my depression/anxiety. I obsess constantly about my health. My leg still hasn't healed, my blood pressure pills have left me woozy and lacking energy for parts of the day, and a blood test has shown me to be borderline for diabetes so needs to be repeated this week.

I have managed to get to one counselling session now, and I am reading a self help book. I have better days among my bad ones. The last 2 days have been particularly bad. But I do want this to end and will do whatever it takes.

If you managed to read all of this, thank you.


5 comments:

  1. Alison, I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this...and I'm so glad you are seeking help because there is light through the darkness...just sometimes we need someone to lend us their flashlight to guide us through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim, for reading this and for the kind reply. I have now been for a second counselling session and am trying to put some of their recommendations into practice. I have every intention of getting through this.

      Delete
    2. Alison, I have no doubts whatsoever that you will not only get through it, but find yourself stronger in ways you can't imagine.

      I went through two severe depressions in my life...and I know how hard it is truly is. You're in my thoughts.

      Delete
  2. Lia I hope you're feeling all well..you know you can always talk to me :)
    write to me
    and I'm praying for you too

    ReplyDelete