Monday 6 October 2014

Working on canvas

I decided to have a go at stenciling and stamping on canvas.

This is an 8" by 8". I prepared the canvas with a pastel green acrylic paint, going around the sides too. I then used Tim Holtz sage green distress ink to sponge around the edges and then through a leaf stencil all over the canvas. This worked very well.

I then decided to stencil around the edges with a sparkle medium using a palette knife. I think I was a bit ambitious starting with a flexible canvas, but nevertheless, it (sort of) worked. Once this was dry, I used a navy blue ink to stamp the main image in the centre of the canvas. The first time, only the edges stamped, again because the canvas flexed! So I put a pile of mount board underneath, and tried again. Fortunately, using an acrylic block and see-through stamp meant I could perfectly line up with the previous effort! I finshed the stamping with a sentiment and a couple of small dragonflies.

I always meant to complete the canvas with a selection of paper flowers. Their positioning was dictated by the mistakes I had made with the sparkle medium!!

The completed canvas looks much better in real life than it does here. The only thing is, I have no idea what I am going to do with it!! I think I will make a series of them in different pastel colours and perhaps persuade hubs to hang them somewhere in the house!!

No comments:

Post a Comment