Saturday 29 March 2014

Let me tell you a story

When I was teaching at a special school for pupils with EBD, there often wasn't much to laugh about, but this little episode always makes me chuckle when I think about it.

I was taking a Year 8 Science lesson, when one of the boys just stood up and walked out. He boldly walked back in about 10 minutes later eating a huge piece of pizza that he had been given by the Home Economics teacher in a separate building block on the other side of the school. When I told him he was not eating that in a Science Lab, nay in my lesson, he threw the pizza at me. I had guessed what he was going to do and moved out of the way. Quickly picking it up and throwing it back at him, it caught his white hoodie and left tomato smears all the way down the front. The other boys applauded and it totally took the wind out of the miscreant's sails.

Who was to really blame for this? Okay, the boy shouldn't have walked out of my lesson, but that happens. He could have eaten the pizza on the way back and I would have been none the wiser. But why on earth did an experienced teacher, a senior teacher at that, give a boy who was obviously in the wrong place at the wrong time, the reward of a piece of pizza?

No comments:

Post a Comment