Wednesday 11 June 2014

My Teddy

This is a poem I wrote about my best friend when I was growing up, and about my worries for his future. It accompanies the recording made for Audioboo.












My Teddy

He was given to me on the day I was born
Loved so much, he's now ragged and worn
When learning to walk, I'd sit on his face
Until rested, and then off I would race
I made stories up where he was the hero
So brave and fierce, but always so gentle
That I wanted to marry a man like Ted
Instead of the monster I eventually wed
I'd cry on him, make him soggy with tears
And for a while, I could forget my fears
Teddy was special, a growling Ted
Until the day he was bashed on my head
By a jealous fiend, my little brother
So Ted was operated on by mother
Who then knitted a cardie to cover his scar
Which he still wears today...oh Teddy you are
So special to me

And what will happen when I die?
Will you go to Teddy Heaven in the sky?
No collector's piece despite your age
I can't bear you ending up in the garbage
So to save myself from endless worry
Wherever I go, you'll go with me!

AE


This is me and Ted being held by my paternal grandfather, a very, very sweet man who was diagnosed with dementia when I was very young. He adored me as I was his first "real" grandchild. My grandmother is also shown, with an aunt, uncle and cousin.


Here we are again, this time with Mum on the right.


And finally...here is the fiendish brother, with me behind the chair. Also shown are Penny and Pippa, our wire haired fox terriers. Poor Ted never did growl again.



2 comments:

  1. wow :)
    You've a very b'ful family Lia & your brother is absolutely not at all fiendish :P
    B'fully written and wonderfully said
    I'm blessed to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely precious piece you have written and I love how you have read it. Great to hear your lovely voice. ~barb k~

    ReplyDelete