Thursday 27 February 2014

To Twit or not to Twit?

I woke up on Monday and decided that I was not going to write my poems and short stories for the Word of the Day games for a while. Probably until after my birthday, but I will see.

I have been increasingly unhappy for some time with how much of my life I have now given over to Twitter.

I started with one account in 2012 which I used for following craft and books/authors. I eventually started following some role players too and quickly became addicted to the story lines I followed. I then started to follow some motivational people and one of those was Mermiddan (Precious Moments). He wrote some poetry which I greatly enjoyed reading so I started writing a bit too.

Then came my second account which was just going to be devoted to poetry. For a very long time, my follower count was low and I was able to read a great deal of what was written. As I started to do the WOTDs, my follower count increased greatly and became all sorts of genres. I always feel it is impolite not to follow back so I have now got to a point where I just cannot follow my timeline. I use hashtags instead and this limits what I read.

I am generous with my favs and RTs to the point that I am spending over 90 minutes a day just doing that. The result is now that a lot of people RT my RTs (!) and actually don't RT my work!! I am feeling very used!!

Add to that the time it takes me to write my short stories and poems and the time spent on Twitter has become ridiculous. Not to mention Follow Fridays and all the thank yous etc that fill my mentions.

So for my sanity and creativity (my work has become "must do" rather than "want to do") I am having a while away for reading and craft.


No comments:

Post a Comment