Wednesday 9 October 2013

Ali's Fish Pie

I have taken the liberty of naming this after me because it is totally made up and not based on another recipe! It was absolutely delicious. Sorry...there is no photo yet because I was elsewhere when hubs dished it up. I will add one next time I make it.
The oven was put on to warm up to 180C/Gas Mark 4. I peeled and quartered (about) 6 potatoes and put them to boil for about 20 minutes. I also hard boiled 2 eggs.
Meanwhile, I took the 2 defrosted fish fillets (I think they were pollack!) and placed them in a dish with a bit of butter, milk, salt and pepper. I then microwaved for 5 minutes to cook the fish so that I could cut it into small chunks. I then transferred the fish, leaving the juice behind, into a saucepan and added a jar of fish sauce (mine was Asda but I don't think that matters) and a small packet of prawns. I brought the mixture almost to the boil, then simmered for 3 minutes. I then stirred in the chopped hard boiled egg and poured the mixture into my baking dish.
The potatoes were now ready, so I drained them and put them back over a low heat to dry them out. This seems to make the mash fluffier. I added a knob of butter, milk, white pepper and a small teaspoon of mustard. I then mashed this vigorously. I had grated 75g of cheese, and put 2/3rd of this into the mash and stirred it to melt it. Then I arranged the mash over the fish mix and forked it up. The final touch was sprinkling the rest of the cheese over the top. It was then put into the oven for 30 minutes.
This should be enough to serve 4 people with generous helpings of veg!!

No comments:

Post a Comment