Monday 7 October 2013

October

The start of October is always a time of remembrance for me. Two of the people that I was closest to died in this week.
My Dad died 8 years ago yesterday. He had been ill for some time, so it was not at all unexpected. But it was still very difficult because we adored each other. He was always my champion, particularly in the run up to and after my divorce. He was never a young dad because he was 37 when I was born, but he was always a fun dad. My eldest son was travelling the world at the time, and Dad was adamant that he was not to be told until after he had died, because he would have come home. He did not want him missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime. I was the one who told Rorie after the funeral and he was devastated because he hadn't been able to say goodbye. He was so far away too. All I could say was that he should look for the brightest star in the sky and think of his Granddad and tell him how he felt. To this day, I still look for the brightest star when I want to be near Dad.
My best friend Val died on the 11th October 2 years ago. Always so bright and bubbly. Always able to look forward and to see the absolute best in people. Heart of gold was coined for her. She'd been so ill for so long and always made the best of it. She could have lived longer, but took a chance on a pioneering treatment because she didn't want a half life if she could have a whole. She had a bone marrow transplant from a donor, but her body rejected this and she rapidly got pneumonia and died. To this day, I cannot believe she has gone. How do you get over losing such a good friend? I still have her email address and phone numbers on my mobile phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment