Tuesday 1 October 2013

Ham and Cheese Bake

I had a busy day yesterday, as I also made a ham and cheese bake. This is a recipe I got from a newspaper. I have started cutting out recipes I like and sticking them in a cheap notebook. The internet is also a good source of recipes.
Again, this is a lot of work but well worth the effort.
I prepare everything first, because I tried just to work through the recipe the first time I  made it, and nearly ended up slinging everything at the wall!
So, take 700g of potatoes (I use baking potatoes because they don't break up), peel and cut into thin slices.
Next I grated 150g of cheddar, Then 150g of mushrooms which need to be wiped and sliced. 150g of ham needs to be diced and 6 spring onions trimmed and sliced. I also weighed out 30g of sunflower spread and 30g of plain flour. Finally 450ml of semi-skimmed milk. Phew!
Put the oven on to warm to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
The potatoes need to be boiled for 5 minutes, and then drained. At the same time, gently heat a tablespoon of sunflower oil and add the mushroom. These need to be gently cooked for 2/3 minutes until soft.
In a large baking dish, I layered half of the potato, mushroom, ham and spring onions, then layered the other half.
I melted the spread and stirred in the flour. The milk is added bit by bit and each time is stirred into the butter flour mixture. This should make a smooth sauce. If it doesn't, just pour it through a sieve to get rid of the lumps! Heat the sauce up until it thickens, then add 2/3rds of the cheese. Stir until it melts then pour over the mixture in the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and place in the heated oven for 35 - 40 minutes.
I also made a baked rice pudding which was a disaster and won't be mentioned again until I get it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment