Tuesday 1 October 2013

Tomato Soup

This is a bit of a faddle to make, but well worth the effort because it tastes divine.
I try to use ripe tomatoes, even ones slightly passed their best. You need to skin 750g and it is also best to take the stalky bit out too. They then need to be roughly chopped. Chop a large onion as finely as possible, then melt 25g of butter and fry the onions and a good shake of garlic flakes on a gentle heat for about 5 minutes or until soft. I made up 1 pint of beef stock, but I think vegetable would be fine. I added half of this to the onion mix and then poured the tomatoes in. It was simmered for 15 mins.
I used my stick blender to blend the liquid, and then it needs to be poured through a sieve to get rid of the pips. Pour it back into the saucepan and add the rest of the stock, plus season with salt, pepper and sugar. This soup is then heated to nearly boiling point.
5 fl oz of double cream need to be brought almost to the boil before being added to the soup. It is important not to boil either the cream or soup at this point because the cream goes lumpy. Finally, I add a good spoonful of basil to the soup. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment